Prologue
I hope to get a deeper understanding and insight into the human brain. I find humans so interesting, we are truly multi-faceted beings. Wonderful, inspiring, beguiling, irritating, disturbing, vile, yet always fascinating. Even though humans share similarities with others, like gender, parents, culture, or the universal smile, we are each one an individual, experiencing the joys and tragedies of our one of a kind lives in our own distinct way. But then I wonder silly things like, if it was possible to raise two babies from birth in an identical fashion until a certain age, would they somehow live virtually identical lives to each other as adults? And so I would like to know what shapes a person and what those ever evolving pieces are made of. However, I am not particularly intelligent so maybe thoughts like that are too simple and vague. But I digress.
One topic I would truly like to learn about is the many reasons behind mental illness and ways to cope with them. It is easier to understand and adapt when there is an answer to a question, even if there is no one solution. On a related note, I read a couple days ago that there has been no person with congenital or early blindness that has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. Is that true? Why?
The one statement I was surprised to learn is actually false, is that it's better to vent your anger than to hold it in. I have heard countless times that it is always best to vent your anger (albeit in a healthy way, but what exactly is considered healthy anyway? A long walk or a good cry as opposed to punching a hole in the drywall or screaming at the person you're angry at?) otherwise it will manifest in different ways, consume your thoughts, affect your health, come exploding out one day on some poor victims who accidentally bumped you in the grocery store. It would be interesting to learn more about anger and the right ways to deal with it.
Thank you for sharing these thoughts! I am going to encourage you to try to not think of yourself as "not particularly intelligent" - you clearly have some interesting things to say.
ReplyDeleteLogically, it seems that if you had two genetically identical infants and raised them in the EXACT same way, they would turn out identical as adults. Of course, that scenario is entirely impossible, and I suspect that even small differences can become something much larger. We will have a chance to explore these ideas in the second portion of the course.